Reading for Understanding: How Reading Apprenticeship Improves Disciplinary Learning in Secondary and College Classrooms, 3rd Edition
Improve student outcomes in reading and literacy with the latest edition of this bestselling text
Thoroughly updated, this third edition of Reading for Understanding offers teachers evidence-based strategies to help students gain the reading independence they need to master subject area texts through Reading Apprenticeship. The practical tools and protocols in each chapter will help educators plan and enact lessons that are authentic to their subject area and also tap the expertise and interests of their students.
The authors – and many contributing teachers – present and illustrate how to enact Reading Apprenticeship™, a proven, evidence-based instructional approach that enables students to dig into all kinds of texts (word problems, charts and tables, primary source documents, fiction, and more). Moreover, students learn to do this reading with an awareness of their own thinking, their purpose, and discipline-specific conventions.
Readers will learn to:
- understand their own expertise as readers and sense-makers in science, history, literature, math, and more
- make their reading process – and that of their students – visible through metacognitive conversations and ‘think aloud’ routines
- supplement and strengthen their textbooks with engaging and diverse texts
- build collaboration and self-monitoring skills
- create a positive classroom climate in which students feel safe to voice questions
- assess and respond to students’ reading needs and strengths
Featuring a new chapter on disciplinary literacy, this edition is perfect for secondary teachers of math, English, art, science, social studies – as well as literacy coaches, educational leaders, teacher educators, and college faculty. Reading for Understanding proves it’s never too late for educators and students to build community and knowledge through reading.
This book is published by Wiley and is included in WestEd’s resource library with permission from the publisher. To purchase the book, visit the publisher’s web site, bookshop.org, or Amazon. A copy of Reading for Understanding is included in the course materials Reading Apprenticeship’s summer professional learning institutes, Essentials I and Essentials II.