The Reading Apprenticeship for First Year Experience is a three day, on-site, intensive seminar that explores how to leverage the Reading Apprenticeship instructional framework to support robust student and educator learning in all aspects of First Year Experience/College Promise programs, including first year seminars, bridge programs, counseling, coaching, and tutoring.
This course is a Phase 1 Reading Apprenticeship professional learning opportunity and is equivalent to other Phase 1 courses and seminars.
Participants will learn to:
- Use the Reading Apprenticeship instructional framework to support deeper student learning in first year seminar courses and/or summer bridge programs
- Recognize and model for students the expert reading strategies required for disciplinary academic texts
- Build students’ willingness, capacity, and stamina for increased reading of complex college level texts
- Accelerate students’ learning and literacy, simultaneously, as they transition to college
- Engage students in understanding their own thinking processes—metacognition
- Foster learning dispositions of persistence, problem-solving, and collaboration
Who should attend:
- Higher-ed (university, college, community, and technical college) instructors of all subject areas and levels, including counselors
- Administrators or Student Support Educators working to help design or develop First Year Experience courses and/or programs
Location & Scheduling
Flexible, 3-day visit. Available by request at your site. Please contact us to set dates that work for you.
Cost & Included Resources
Please contact us for pricing.
Included course materials:
- Our best-selling book, Reading for Understanding
- A binder of professional readings
- Classroom implementation materials
After participating in this Phase 1 Reading Apprenticeship professional learning opportunity, you will be able to participate in Phase 2 services.