Leading for Literacy: A Reading Apprenticeship Approach
December 5, 2016 Books
Leading for Literacy provides clear, on-the-ground guidance, tools, and examples for improving student reading across secondary schools and colleges.
This companion to the landmark Reading for Understanding guides teacher leaders, coaches, and administrators through the nuts and bolts of implementing the Reading Apprenticeship Framework.
Reading Apprenticeship practitioners across the country address how to:
- Generate authentic buy-in from teachers and administrators
- Create Reading Apprenticeship communities of practice that sustain an institutional focus on a student-centered culture of literacy
- Use formative assessment to promote teacher and student growth
- Roll out systemwide plans for implementation
- Use the Reading Apprenticeship Framework to turn reform overload into reform coherence
“The kind of system-wide work described here has made an important difference in my district, and will—I believe—be a good guide for others as well.”
— Michael Matsuda, Superintendent, Anaheim UHSD, CA
“I am eager to use Leading for Literacy as a resource for working with professional learning communities, developing teacher leadership, and supporting administrators’ understanding of what it really takes to help all our students achieve the kind of deeper literacy learning needed for the challenging texts and tasks we expect them to handle.”
— Melissa Devlin, Director of Curriculum, Instruction, and Literacy, Antietam School District, PA